Anemia detection instrument
( without taking blood )
“MUKTA” means freedom (from anemia)
This is an extraordinary instrument to bring changes in lives of lacks of anemic patients all over the world. Not only that it can also be used to prevent anemia. It gives an idea about anemia by self examination or by little trained health workers. There is no need to let down blood nor it requires any recurring cost.
( In Gujarati ” Mukta” means “freedom” )
M = Multipurpose
U = Universally applicable
K = Knowledge sharing instrument
T = Treatment tracker
A = Affordable by all.
Advantages & uses of the instrument.
- Detection of anemia by self examination.
- Low cost.
- Avoids repeated pricks & thereby reducing chances of HIV/hepatitis B etc.
- Progress of anemia status can be measured regularly.
- Easy to carry in field.
- Good instrument to start talk in groups even in unknown field practice area.
- Inter-observer bias, time bias, instrument bias etc. can be avoided.
- Person can use it – as mirror
– Detection of caries
– watching progress for jaundice
– in school & ICDS (it can be used to teach self examination for personal hygiene.)
(This will ensure proper preservation & care of an instrument.)
Small scale research on various interventions for anemia.
- Anemia control – as it gives detail message on symptoms & causes of anemia as well as hints on treatment of anemia along with list of food articles which are rich in iron.
- In dessert it is useful for sending signals/messages. (Common use of mirror)
- It prevents malpractices of certain doctors who link with path lab to give particular results. (Thereby it helps in improving image of doctors in general.)
- In teaching it is used to give an excellent example for community participation & appropriate technology. It also helps in equitable distribution as well as intersectoral coordination. That means it satisfies all the 4 principles of primary health care.
Experience of people :
More than 25000 instruments are being used by institutes & individuals all over country. Total beneficiaries are estimated to be around 25 lacks. It is available in English , Hindi ,Gujarati & Tamil . Translation to Panjabi & Asami will be done in near future if sponsorship is available. Good feedback is given by people in last 10 years.
Just at cost of Rs. 50 per instrument, one can examine approximate anemic status of more than 200 individuals daily absolutely free of cost.
Contact for further details:
Dr.Rajesh Mehta(MD,PSM) ( founder of anemia detection instrument)
People’s Health & Development Trust.
23 Shardanagar society, Nr. Shreyas crossing , Paldi , Ahmedabad – 380007. Ph: 9825455607).
Special note : Please note that an informal operation research study showed that concordance of “result of personal examination by patient by this instrument ” with “laboratory result” was much better than that of “result of doctors by Direct examination”. )